Japonesque by Koda Kumi -album review-


Without doing any maths, this is probably my favourite Koda Kumi album and I'm actually curious how it will rank after I give points to each songs. It's long and has songs that I had on repeat for quite a long time but it also has several mediocre songs. Another amazing thing about this album is that it contains a PV to each song, I love when Kumi does this.

Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~ Perfect intro for Japan-oriented album, it starts with tunes that sound like Japanese shamisen but it has a contemporary feeling with lot's of echo sounds, I love it, especially the breathing out at the end, it fit the next song so well I would think it's part of it. 9.5/10

So Nice feat. Mr.Blistah A song with sensual, kinki undertone, once it starts you feel as if you entered an old style pleasure house of an Oiran in 18th century Japan. The song is sexy, the lyrics are quite dirty. Despite different style and sound it's a perfect transition to the next song. 9/10

Can you make me drop to my knees? 

Boom Boom Boys From 18th century Japan to typical urban club, different era but the same environment. It starts slowly with a strong rockish beat and the way Kuu sings is sensual and flirty at first but goes well with all the electronic sounds and quite a lot of autotune in background vocals. 10/10

V.I.P. feat. T-Pain (Album Version) I knew this song already from the singles, it felt weird at first and wasn't my favourite on the single because the other songs (In the Air and KOSOKOSO) were so much more engrossing but this one is engrossing as well. The album wersion is just little bit different as it contains the unnecessary (as many people claim) rapper. I don't mind him that much but it was more sensual without him, his screams don't bring anything to the song. 9/10

Slow feat. Omarion This is the kind of ballad I love the most, it's mid-tempo, quite rockish and full of different sounds, the melody line is very rich, and when I sing along it just feel nice in all of my instruments of speech. I think this is probably my favourite Kumi ballad, or at least favourite mid-tempo non-uplifting ballad if that makes any sense at all. 10/10

Brave Very pretty, slow ballad, not as generic as those ballads Kumi puts on her singles from time to time but still very typical for her. It's not the kind of song I put on repeat but once it's on I don't skip it, the chorus is especially nice and soothing and has quite powerfull bridge. 8.5/10

Brave starts at 3:22

Everyday A must on each Kumi album. She always has one or two cute songs, I don't mind them as long as the aren't overcute and luckily this one isn't but still there isn't anything special about it. 7/10

IN THE AIR This song is a blast, absolutely amazing. An up-tempo ballad that kept me going for many months, very uplifting and energetic. 10/10

You are not alone ~acoustic version~ One of the weakest songs on this album, it's cheesy and kind of boring, I just had to relisten to the single non-acoustic version but it's not much better. The lyrics are good and the song itself isn't bad but the arrangements could have been better. I was actually hoping that acoustic version will be nice and it's definitely better than the single version but still it doesn't make the song enjoyable to me, they could skip the clapping (and that instrument in the bachgroud that makes all those trembling, kinda gospel, sounds, are those just organs?) and stick to the guitar, I'm not sure myself. The bridge is very good though. 6/10

Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~ Awesome interlude, it kind of reminds me of Ayumi's Inspire. It has a Middle East kind of melody that suddenly swtches to soft dubstep, then for a second or two has this soft sensual pseudo-vocal and ends in a kind of rushed way 9/10

ESCALATE Another fast song, has similar feeling to Boom Boom Boys, perfect for clubbing, it didn't sway me off my feat but I appreciate it and I love its bridge. I kinda realize now that songs on this album usually have awesome bridges. I also like chanting at the end. 8/10

Love Me Back This is a love or hate song, it's cheesy but in a trolling way, Kumi knows you find it cheesy and makes it even more cheesy in the PV with skimpy outfits and bold dancing. It's a very fun song and that kind of makes you smile the whole time. During the tour Kumi performed a very sensual version of this song with chairs and 'legs in the air' dance routine, it was hot. 8/10

No Man's Land Probably my all time favourite Koda Kumi song. When I first heard a few seconds long preview on her official site I couldn't stop listing, I had it on repeat for several hours. When I heard full version I wasn't fond of the rapping in the beginning, I though it killed the song but I started to like it quite soon. I love everything about the song, the chorus, the bridge, the way it makes me feel when I'm singing it, the drums after the bridge, it's just perfect, she should perform it more live. So far there's only one performance but it's amazing with Kuu playing the drums at the end. 10/10

愛を止めないで (Ai wo Tomenaide) I wish this song wasn't on this album and to make it worse they put it between two awesome songs that fit perfectly together. I strongly dislike the first few sounds, and the rest of the song is simply boring, although there are days when I find it ok but it happens once in a blue moon. I think I'd like it more if it wasn't on this album, it disturbs the flow of it. It's so disliked by many non-Japanese fans that it got a nickname title "Ai wo tomato" LOL. 5/10

KO-SO-KO-SO Truly HOT song. By some people kosokoso is said to be more informal version of 'kochira koso' which means "the pleasure is all mine" or "I should thank you" but it also means "doing something secretly" and the song itself describes a very intimate relationship so both translations fit nicely imo (reminds me of how some people thank each other after a one-time intercourse in a flirty way). Just to add spice to the whole the PV shows Kumi playing in bed with another girl (unfortunately nothing interesting happens except for them pretending to kiss all the time). 9/10

My expressions are different than usual 
(Secretly) I’ll show them to you
My usual and sensitive spot
(Secretly) I’ll teach you where it lies

Lay Down "You're gonna love it" says the first verse of the song, I don't love it but I appreciate it a lot, it's a good song, to be honest, I have no idea why I don't love it, I know many people do. I find the PV really good though and truly unique with all the fluorescence make up. 7/10

Love Technique The kind of overcute song I don't like in Kumi's discography. The verses aren't bad but the chorus is slightly too cute, maybe it would be better withough the phrase "LOVE TECHNIQUE" repeated multiple times over and over. It's sweet and unnerving at the same time. Got good bridge though, again. After the bridge I really start to like it until the next "LOVE TECHNIQUE", but I rarely manage to get to the bridge. 7/10

Poppin' love cocktail feat. TEEDA Awesome song for summer, one big energy bomb, I started to appreciate it during A-Nation, it's expecially enjoyable live, I love those Ohhhoh sounds in the background that are actually performed by Kumi's husband Kenji whom she met when she was recording this song (Kenji is the lead vocalist and guitarist of the band Back-On in which Teeda raps)  8.5/10

All for you It's a very beautiful ballad addressed to Kumi's fans, unfortunately, it's recorded in a studio mode: it's kind of muffled, deaden. It was an interesting move and it sounds good in the PV but I think it should be recorded normally on the album - it gives me a feeling of listening to my neighbours music behind the wall. Luckily we have live recordings, because of the muffled sound, you can't appreciate it enough on this album. It's awesome live. Despite the bad sound it's an amazing way to close this album. 9.5/10


With this song I want to show you
How happy I am to have met you
You never stopped holding my hand
We experienced sadness and lots of happiness together

And from now on too...
All for you

Album Rate: 8.42/10

Comments