FIVE by Ayumi Hamasaki -album review-


I wouldn't call it my favourite album but since it's got very good songs on it, it will probably end up high on the list. I feel like the songs would fit the previous album Love Songs and I treat it like a continuation of it but on the other hand I'm glad the songs made it into a separate release because thanks to that they all got music videos.


01 progress I still remember the fuss made by this song on forums, people fell in love with it and praised it a lot. It really is a masterpiece. It starts slowly but the chorus is an explosion of sounds and beautiful vocal. Amazing song. 10/10


02 ANother song feat. URATA NAOYA I think it's a good song and I like it when I'm watching the PV or I like the live performance of it but I never feel like listening to it, it is a bit boring especially compared to any other song on this album. The PV is good though. 7/10


03 Why... feat. JUNO I see many negative opinions about this song, actually there's a hidden track in this album and it's this song but instead of Juno, Urata Naoya sings the male part and it had a different arragement. I usually see opinions that people like Naoya version more but I'm absolutely in love with this one. IMHO this song is amazing, Juno's and Ayu's vocals fit amazing together, it's a midtempo ballad with bitter-sweet lyrics. 10/10


04 beloved I remember not liking it that much at first until I saw the live version. I was confused because it had beautiful PV (simple in fact but the shots are very sophisticated) but I found the song so-so. I though it was elegant but missed some wow effect. However, after listening to it a few more times I really started to love it, it's classy, peaceful and emotional. 10/10


05 BRILLANTE Now this is a masterpiece on another level, I was dumbstroked and forgot my name when I first heard it, the melody is so unique you can either love it or hate it and so the opinions are extreme as well. Not only the melody mesmerized me but also lyrics, they are my favourite kind: ambiguous. You have the feeling but no precise message, you think you know what the song is about but you can't be sure. It's definitely more on the dark side, though it's not a sad song. I think it is difficult for Ayu to sing because none of the live version so far can beat the album version (I usually prefer Ayu songs live). As for the PV I loved it as well, it was my favourite kind of weirdness that's hard to explain and may seem bad to some people and awesome to others. 10/10


I coundn't see anything
And then suddenly I saw everything
The road ahead is too narrow
And I can no more walk on, side by side with you

Album rate: 9,4/10

Comments