Party Queen by Ayumi Hamasaki -album review-


Music override. This month is full of new releases of my favourite artists.

14.03 Yellow Fried Chickenz - Yellow Fried Chickenz I (1st album)
21.03 Namie Amuro - Go round (single)
21.03 Ayumi Hamasaki - Party Queen (13th album)
21.03 Ayumi Hamasaki - Count Down Live 2011-2012 (concert)
21.03 Ayumi Hamasaki - Arena Tour 2011 -Power of Music- (concert)
21.03 Ayumi Hamasaki - Life Style Book

Since YFC's album will be released tomorrow I thought I'll have the chance to listen to it first but Ayu's 13th album Party Queen debuted today on iTunes. 

I already managed to listen to it several times and enjoyed it to the extend that made me want to review it. So here we go.


Party Queen: The first track on the album, we already know this song from latest Count Down Live concert. Maybe it's not the best Ayu song but my feelings didn't change since cdl. Although this version seems to be lighter musical wise (less bass) I like it equally to live version which might be more enjoyable because of the funny dance moves but in case of music they are similar. 8/10

NaNaNa: There's a bit of controversy about this track. Many fans got discouraged already after seeing the previews because Ayu's recent Timothy 'right hand' Wellard is a bit too overexposed both in the song and PV (promotional video). I must agree to this statement, Timmy's song 'Brillante' (from previous mini album FIVE) is extraordinary and he's a unique composer, however, he seems to be too vivid with his colorful hair and his dancing is far from good in the PV. Ayu is known for chosing perfectionists for her works so this choice is really weird this time. The song itself it nearly amazing. Timmy's rap and background rhytm feel's like Ladies Night, then the song goes powerful similarily to Until that day and it has Identity's 3,2,1 ending, interesting (in a good way) combination. I'm not too crazy about this song, it had to grow on me but after five listenings I started to enjoy it a lot 9,5/10



Shake it♥: This song was supposed to be very sensual with erotic lyrics. My Japanese isn't good enough to judge it lyric wise but in case of melody I didn't like it from the start. I can't say is a bad song, it's definitely strong and powerfull but it's not a song I want to hear over and over. The 'olailai / shake it lala' part irritates me. Maybe it'll grow on me one day, maybe some live performance will change my mind. Edit: After three years I don't dislike the song anymore, it's still not my favourite but it's funny live. 7/10



taskebab: Guitar and drum based interlude with a bit of electronic sound which has been taken directly from Daft Punk - Aerodynamic and hasn't been credited so far, I hope this will change. Tasuku has been a remarkable composer and this disturbs me right now. I gave this interlude 4/10 at first but after few listenings I started to like it more. 5/10

call: As far as music is concerned, this song is very cheerful and pleasant, perfect to listen in a car on a way to work early in the morning, the chorus at some point reminds me a lot of Kuu's Love Holic (there a 'mecha mecha' part in Kuu's song, it's very similar) 8/10

Letter: This song gives similar first impression to the previous one but I guess I find it a bit better. Althought I like it, it doesn't stay in my head (I don't remember the chorus right after it ends). The melody is very cheerful, there's a lot of がんばって (Good luck) in this song, I also hear words like 幸せ (Happiness), 寂しくて (Loneliness) and 楽しくて (Fun) so I don't expect it having dark message 8,5/10 

reminds me: I think this is my favourite song of this album, I love the instrumental at the beginning, the slow first stanza and strong chorus, but the best part is the lalala part (which seems to irritate some people already), as the song progresses it becomes more intensive and at the ending it gets amazingly powerful. Hands down, I truly love the lalala part and the instruments in the background. 10/10 

Return Road: The songs starts with the sound of electric organ similarily to Microphone, it's slow in the beginning and then goes right to powerful chorus. I loved it even from the small, 15 second long preview, I haven't changed my mind. The only thing that disturbs me in this song is Timmy's howling somewhere in the second / end part of this song, I didn't really notice it until other fan told me and now it irritates me a little. Still, it's an amazing song, obviously in my personal top ...20 Ayu songs. 9,5/10



Tell me Why: It's a cover song originally recorded by a Greek artist, Ivi Adamou, a contestant from X Factor. I knew and loved the original so it's weird listening to cover, it's a great song and Ayu's version is great but I just guess my sentiment for the original is too big. Fortunately, this song is properly credited. 9,5/10 



a cup of tea: Judging from the title I expected something more peacefull. It starts nice and I didn't even mind the techno / dubstep moments, but at the point when all the weird machine sounds start it gets bad. I've got really mixed feelings, I'd remove this dubstep (which I don't really mind in general, but it doesn't fit here) or whatever it is and it'd make a nice piece 5/10 

the next LOVE: I didn't expect this from the title. Ayu has a song called is this LOVE? which is pure kick-@ss rock, while here we have typical jezz sound. In spite of the surprise, I can really imagine Ayu sitting on a piano in a club singing this song, I really like it, and I guess it'll grow on me even more soon 9/10 

Eyes, Smoke, Magic: I have nothing against musicals, I actually like them, Sounds of Music, Moulin Rouge, they were great movies with great music, but there's one musical I actually hate and it's Chicago. This song reminds me of the music from Chicago. Actually, the first one and half minute is quite good, not very Ayu style but it's good, unfortunately at some point it turns into ... a country music??? Then it goes back to jazz. This song may grow on me but right now it's the worst song on this album. I guess it's the kind of song people just love or hate. It doesn't sound that bad right now after few listenings but so far it's one I just don't replay, there are too many amazing songs on this album 3/10

Serenade in A minor: The last interlude on this album. I love classical music, I play the piano myself, but this is somehow too monotonous to me, I have tried to listen to it few times but it's really boring, I can't see anything beautiful in it and it's not a nice transition between the songs either. It may be a good piece of music in a historical movie but not on this album. 3/10 

how beautiful you are: The only ballad on this album. I know this song from recent CDL already and I have mixed feelings. The message if this song is great but the english lines sound off and weird. Although it's is not my favourite type of ballad, although the first stanza in album version is sung in chipmunk style (squeakily) and although I'd skip it if it was anywhere in the middle of the tracklist, I must admit it makes a great closure to the album. 7/10



Album rate: 7.2/10 

I guess it's too soon to rate this album as a whole, I need to familiarize myself with the songs and their lyrics. There are four PVs on this album, I only saw one and some previews, they may change my opinion about the songs as well. I also cannot wait to get my physical version which will happen in about three weeks. 

Pre-order links: 

Comments

  1. how come you don't get enough comments!? came on your blog cuz i was searching party queen album. i like your review... I'm thinking of purchasing the album now after your review... like your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I've been a bit AFK the last two years but I feel like writing again and reviewd few more albums :)

      Delete

Post a Comment