Walk of my Life by Koda Kumi -album review-



1. Introduction ~WALK OF MY LIFE~Usually Kumi's intro songs are absolute slayers that eventually turn into full version songs because they are loved by fans. There are few exceptions though. This one is good but I'm not awed by it. 8/10

2. Dance In The Rain: 

There's a line of hope in an opening in the clouds
But I don't have any wings
So I can't take off well

I was the one who brought this rain
After all, the reason is my own weakness...
I can't take off at all


I love how this album opens with certain amount of self doubt and loneliness but slowly progresses through all other songs and concludes with Walk of my Life where she promises to never say "I'm alone" ever again. Very catchy mid-tempo ballad with beautiful melody. The only thing I'm not super fond of is the repetition of the word "rain" all over the chorus, that's the only flaw, even the PV is perfect. 9/10

3. Lippy: I couldn't finish listening to this song at first, it felt like one huge mess but I thought I will give it a second chance later. After several listenings I just can't enjoy anything about it. The beginning is talked not sang, the verse:

Seijitsu∞fuseijitsu
Dasenai kotae mo shoujikisa kakage
"Sore ja watashi wa nattoku dekinai ima ga subete nano"


is the only part of the song I actually liked and I was expecting some good chorus after that but it didn't happen, I don't like it, can't help it. 4/10

4. MercedesAnother new song that I wanted to skip right away, I just don't feel it, it's all screaming, no melody and simply not my thing, it feels like lots of US songs not a JPop song, it's not bad but so far I find it slightly annoying. Since Mercedes is the sponsor of the next tour I expect this song to be performed during tour, maybe then I'll change my mind. 4/10

5. Like ItFinally a song for me, it gives me a similar feeling to Touch Down, even though they have little in common, I like urban sounds in Kuu's songs, this one's catchy and has awesome bridge. 8/10




6. House PartyUgh. Another "all talk" song, there's almost no Kumi in the chorus. After Lippy and Mercedes I hoped there won't be a song like this, it's different and yet annoying in the same way and far too US for me, I want JPop or at least more Kumi. I think maybe it's just me who's strange since many people on forums seem to love those three songs. 3/10

7. Interlude ~Dance~: Another interlude on the album, not as good as the introduction but not bad either. 7/10

8. HOTEL

In an instant to be free
Birds sing and morning call
& Sexy magic 1.2.3
Everyone can shine in the new world



You can't expect very sophisticated lyrics in a song called HOTEL but you can expect fun melody. This song has been my jam for many months and one of my morning wake up calls, it's midtempo, very catchy and very Kumi. 10/10

9. Gimme UFinally a new song that's really nice and finally a sweet song that's not overly cute. Kumi's cute songs sometimes give me cavities, luckily this one doesn't. 8/10

10. You can keep up with me: I always forget this song is on this album, after Lippy, Mercedes and House Party I really hoped I will love the rest of the new songs. Now I slowly start to remember which one is which but at first they all sounded like one mess to me. Again, no JPop, JRock, JAnything in this song, lot's of screaming and noise, probably my least favourite. 2/10

11. MONEY IN MY BAGIt starts with a boom and takes you on an awesome journey, this song is also one of my wake up calls. The beginning is a weird mixture of a apocalyptic sound and gangsta lyrics, when I wake up to it I start the day with positive energy (though I only use it at 5.40, lol). 10/10

12. PIECE IN THE PUZZLEThe masterpiece of this album, this is why I love Koda Kumi. Very unique sound, beautiful vocals, highly addicting, I love the addition of male voices in the end. Brrrrava! 10/10

13. Fake TongueNot really my thing, nothing exciting about the melody, the stanza is quite good, the chorus is screamed again but at least it's not annoying. Ok song, not my favourite though. 5/10

14. Sometimes Dreams Come TrueFast tempo ballad, instant mood lifter, uplifting but not overly cute. Again, you can hear the change of mood in this song.

I'll probably cry again and again
But if I believe in myself
Get rid of the anxiety
And start moving
Sometimes dreams come true

It has an awesome bridge and I enjoy those 'lalala' in the end. 9/10

15. LIFE so GOOD!!Sounds like something between Bambi and Hashire (and maybe LALALA as well), it has great uplifting chorus although they could have skipped the kid-like person talking at the very beginning, luckily this is the only annoying part of the song, so don't get discouraged by the first sounds, it'll be awesome live, hopefully Kumi will perform it during the tour.

I swear from now
I'll live like my own self
I don't care one bit about the rumors of others
Hey! Kick in trash box

Yeah, the message in the lyrics seem to repeat itself and you see how  8/10

16. WALK OF MY LIFE

They kept saying "You're strong, aren't you?"
But in front of the mirror
My shoulders were always trembling, you know?
There really isn't
Anyone who knows their true self

Making mistakes over and over, turning back over and over
But, even so,
I'll keep advancing to where I want to go
I'll never stop

The only actuall ballad on the album. When the song starts you may think there are two songs playing, there's a piano and upbeat which seem like two different songs but after getting used to, they really fit well together. The song itself is great but I think lyrics make it powerful. Just like Dance in the Rain started with uncertainty Walk of my Life ends the album with confidence. 9/10

I will get stronger as I cry
I will learn the meaning of standing up
I am finally free
I say that those around me haven't changed
But I must change now
I can finally
Start from where we ended
So begins a walk of my life



Album rate: 7.1/10

The score isn't bad (I was expecting much worse) considering that there are four songs I really don't like. The opinion is my own and may change over time (especially after I watch the songs live). If you don't agree with me it's completely fine, I know there are lots of people who enjoyed the songs I disliked. Sorry for poor English and possible spelling errors or grammar mistakes, it's not my first language (neither second .__.)

Koda Kumi 15th Anniversary Live Tour 2015〜WALK OF MY LIFE〜​supported by Mercedes-Benz

2015年4月4日(土) 静岡エコパアリーナ
2015年4月11日(土) マリンメッセ福岡
2015年5月2日(土)、3日(日) 日本ガイシホール(旧名古屋レインボーホール)
2015年5月9日(土) 石川県産業展示館 4号館
2015年5月23日(土) 真駒内セキスイハイムアイスアリーナ
2015年5月29日(金)、30日(土)、31日(日) 大阪城ホール
2015年6月20日(土) 宮城・セキスイハイムスーパーアリーナ
2015年6月27日(土)、28日(日) さいたまスーパーアリーナ

Comments