YELLOW FRIED CHICKENz - I by YFC -album review-



On the spot review, I just wanted to have my first listen in peace but from  the very first tune it got so amazing I just started to write.

01 CIRCLE [.com] 

Wow. At thirst I thought it's very similar to other YFC songs, very fast and intense with slow moments and traditionally Gackt and Jon singing one after another and joining voices in chorus, but I loved the tune from the very start. 9.5/10

02 最終通告COUNTDOWN [.jp] 

The beginning is weird, it get's better from first 'sayonara', may be fun during concert, after a while I was enjoying it, but it's rather a filler, doesn't stand out. There's a lot of screaming in it. 8/10

03 恋愛DRIVER ~Fooさんの歌~ [.jp] 

No slowing down, another crazy, fast song, more of a Gackt style with fast talking moments, it's really heavy at the beginning but also has it's dreaming moments. 8/10

04 LAST KISS [.jp] 

I already know this song from the concert, it's a song which's melody I cannot remember but once I hear it it immediately comes back, fast song, the stanzas are a bit slower and more interesting than the chorus. For people who don't know YFC all those four songs so far would sound pretty much the same but this is something you must get used to. 8.5/10

05 YOU ARE THE REASON [.eu] 

Song known from ALL MY LOVE single, personally I love this song, it has amazing instrumentals, at first I thought it was chaotic but once I heard the karaoke version I fell in love completely. 9.5/10

06 MIND FOREST [.com] 

Gackt's (not so) old mid-tempo ballad, refreshed and in english. Jon joining Gackt in chorus may seem weird for some people but once you get used it's hard to get back to the Japanese version. 9/10

07 妄想GIRL [.jp] 

I'm kind of disappointed this song is in Japanese as I first heard it in English during concert and the English lyrics were perfect and funny especially combined with Gackt and Jon's crazy dance. I'd rate the English version 10/10, the Japanese only is also ruined by loud 'peep' sound to hide some curse, only 8/10

08 THE END OF THE DAY [.jp] 

This songs has a lot of charm, there's something unusual in the melody, it goes on and on without stopping, very fast and powerful. Loved it from first hearing, actually, the PV made it even better, it was nice to see how much energy the boys put into this song. 9.5/10

09 また、ここで逢いましょッ [.jp] 

It has the PVs intro, but don't get confused by the calm melody, it's another crazy but amazingly positive song. It refers to the March 13th earthquake and  (together with All my Love) carries the most of the album's message. You can find a PV to this song on this album, it takes place in ruined school where small boy is recollecting his days with friends. Very touching. 9.5/10

10 ALL MY LOVE [.jp] 

I heard this song only once during concert in June but kept it burned in mind till December when I finally heard it again. A ballad, a piece that difinitely makes you appreciate both Gackt and Jon's voices. On the concert it was 11 minutes long, there was a second part to the song that was incredibly uplifting and beautiful but unfortunately you cannot hear it on the album or single version. I cannot tell how many times I've already listened to it 10/10

Holy cow, I wrote everything before the song finished and now I just listen and see that this song HAS that second concert part with "close your eyes, feel your soul" lyrics. Only a pity they didn't end it just like during the concert with melody itself. After seeing the PV on the single I was hoping for them to record this 'full' version, especially since the PV seemed unfinished. Now we have 3 versions of this song, I still prefer concert version, I must listen to this album version again.

11 NOT ALONE 「キミは一人じゃない」 [.eu]


New song. I was so happy about All my love that I forgot there's one more song. The beat is nice, something I'd not expect on this album nor from Gackt. It's sweet in its unique way, I wish it had a PV, this small telephone interjection sounds like a nice story. 9/10


Album rate 8.95/10


Overall, this is an amazing album. Even though I also listen to other famous Japanese artists like Ayumi Hamasaki, Koda Kumi or KinKi Kids, this album actually leaves their new albums in back (with Koda's Japonesque being close behind).

Comments